Friday, October 28, 2022

Using Plywood for Finished Floors. Yes, We Really Did That! Part 6

No this is not the stained floor, it is just the lighting, but note it does not look like plywood, does it? 
I suppose I'll be crowing about that for years to come. It was such a success. From the price, to the fact that I could bring home a stack of 4x8's in the back of the mini van (good ol' mini van!), to the ability to rip them down to the wider sizes. I'm so glad we gave it a try!

After the installation, it was time to rent a sanding machine. This machine was affectionately called by the rental company "the Fun Machine." It was heavy, awkward, loud, and vibrated the user from the toes to the sore back.

A floor! We had a finished floor! 



And a clean house, too.

Never again will it be this clean.

Critically examining the sanding job. 

I am not the first person to get all poetic-feeling about the sunshine on the floor, but it still makes me so happy inside to see this. 

The Fun Machine could only do so much. Remember that I bought super cheap plywood, the worst grade that the discount lumber place had on hand (and I am sure the workers there thought I was a little bit crazy). It looks great in this photo but there were some huge splinters, gashes, and knotholes that ran deep. We did not want to simply sand those spots lest we grind down too much and have an uneven floor. 

Now the ball was in my court: as a mother I had to save the baby's toes from splinters! I will tell you what I did in the next post!




No comments:

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.