Saturday, October 8, 2022

Covering


 I am not sure if I covered this subject yet (hah) but when the drywall was up, and "mudded," it was my job to get it "dusted" so I could prime it. The dusting didn't go so well in places. It is harder than you think! If you put too much damp cloth on it, you will basically turn the mud back to mud and it comes off. If you don't do enough, your paint will not stick, as you see here: 

What you see coming through was the green waterproof wallboard in the kitchen... because that spot wasn't dusted well enough. The primer would not stay on. 

And here is the same problem under a windowsill. Corners were the WORST places for me to both dust and caulk.

But ah, a freshly primed wall. 


Our drywallers did a great job with all of our quirky spaces. This is the laundry room, and we have soffits that hold a lot of plumbing pipe and a lot of blown-in-insulation (by the way, all the fixtures fed from these pipes that are in these soffits have near-instant hot water! Yay for maximum insulation!). 
 
And speaking of covering, we debated about covering up this ceiling all the way. I got to liking it the way it was, so that is why we had soffits for hiding pipes and wires and things and left the middle exposed. I wouldn't call it "industrial style" exactly,  but because my family worked so much on this house it feels nice to me to be able to still see some of  the joists (and more of my beloved ceiling) in this side room to remind me of its construction. Now the next debate is: do we paint this bit of ceiling or not? Whitewash it? I suppose we should do something...in really hot weather it drips sap!

Here's the upstairs half bath, with the blue paint covered over.  Recall that we had a "slick wall" treatment, meaning no texture sprayed on or spread on by the drywallers. Our rollers were going to leave enough texture by themselves. This was only paint coat #3. By the time I got a darker paint color #4 on (more on that later) there were enough "roller texture" bumps to make coverage very hard. We should have left it at  #3. 

Lastly, we have one of the Useful Things To Have During Construction. This is a roll of sticky plastic film (sorry, I can't remember the name) that we picked up at the lumber store. I think it was for covering carpet paths or something. We used it for everything from Wrapping a paintbrush to wrapping appliances. It covered up things for waterproofing and covered up things to keep dust out. This and foam board are highly recommended for a construction site!


No comments:

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.