Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Fix it and Call Again.

Many a night I had lulled myself to sleep in the RV dreaming of that moment of the Occupancy Declaration from the county Building Inspector. We would cry, we would dance, we would clap, I would wring the Inspector's hand and tell him how much it meant to us. All the kids would hug each other. So I had a nervous but exciting flutter in my heart when we called for the "last" inspection. 

The minimums were done, and somewhat beyond, and the moment was here. 

The first floor, all inspection ready!
No need for backsplash, cupboard doors, extra trims, shelves or drawers for occupancy inspections. 
Baseboard not required. Stair backs not required. 
 Bay window seats/drawers, closet doors not needed. 
Everything structural, plumbing, and electric was finished. 

Well, not much we could do about this. We didn't build a garage. Renting a storage unit was out of the question for frugality's sake.  Just scoot boxes away from the walls so the Inspector can see the outlets. Upstairs? just stack the totes in the middle. Boy, the attic is going to be a bit difficult to navigate... 

And after going through all the house, what did the inspector say?

Something like: "You've got the wrong outlet here" and "Get that hydrant outta there." Fix it all and call again.

The Electrician/Tile Guy helps the Plumber/Carpenter Guy with the hydrant removal.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying these posts so much! It is interesting seeing how you did things from scratch; we've been remodeling our home very slowly over 20 years (We moved an old house-100 year old-onto our land, & it required new plumbing, roof, electric, a basement etc.) Your house is lovely.

Lillibeth said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

{{{Hugs}}} Looking forward to seeing your grand completion and move in!
Laurie https://teacupsinthegarden.com/

Anonymous said...

btw I just did a google search and others are having the same problem as I...can't leave comments on Blogger. Someone said Chrome (which I always use) is the problem. I'm at Microsoft Edge now, the last comment worked so perhaps this one will too. =)
Laurie https://teacupsinthegarden.com/

Lillibeth said...

Hi Laurie, glad you could comment (congratulations on your new website, btw!). I do moderate comments so it does take me a bit of time to publish them (I can't always get to the computer as often as I would wish!). But I, too, have had trouble with blogger insisting that I was NOT logged in when I was, and then refusing to put a comment on blogs. Grr. Also, I am supposed to have a "reply" to comments feature here but it refuses to work. I guess I am not up to migrating to another platform to fix these things, but I can see how it would be nice to start with a clean slate and re-organize as you have done.

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.