Friday, August 3, 2012

Back-To-School


I always think the back-to-school sales come way too early, ruining everyone's summer! I say that as a homeschooler, too. I do apologize for this long post, and hope I do not try  my readers' patience by "thinking out loud" on this subject.

I was making a mental list of all the things that I want to teach this year, and wondering how in the world am I going to fit them all in?
More Bible Study (we are already doing the Advanced Bible Reader)
Bible Memorization
Poetry Memorization (my grandmother often recited to me poems she had learned in a little school house on Whidby Island when she was a girl. She was very proud of them and they were poems with good meanings. I would love for my students to say the same thing to their grandchildren!)
Memorizing or at least becoming extremely familiar with the US founding documents
Singing in harmony, and learning to lead a song/keep time/keep everyone on key
Piano lessons
Spanish lessons
Reading aloud good literature (we very much enjoy reading aloud time-- a moral lesson, examples from history, an adventure story, Little Pilgrim's Progress, and poetry-- unfortunately it often gets "knocked off" of our list if we are running late)
Exploring more Ancient History, as well as keeping on with American History
Enjoying going on rabbit trails with whatever we are studying, and learning more and more!
Enjoying the outdoors by being able to know what we are hearing, seeing (nature studies)
Learning new skills and hobbies
Enjoying taking their hobbies to a new level with practice
Taking educational trips
Becoming Geography Experts
Starting a little business
Nap times everyday for everyone-- very very quiet ones
Oh, and all the regular reading, writing and arithmetic too.
Oh, and also I want to simplify this year.

As this list overwhelms me, I think back to the list of what I did as a homeschool student. I feel that I had a very rich education, and my mother made it seem somewhat effortless (though I know she went to a lot of effort to make it happen!). Being rather alone in this venture (so we thought) and not having many materials at hand to start homeschooling with, she went on her instinct on what and how to teach us. As I have read up on different methods for my own school, I realize that my mother was teaching us in the Charlotte Mason style, the Classical style, "Delight learning" and the un-schooling style, along with a good bit of ABeka book style. I think I'll call it "Eclectic." [I want to add here that she had never heard of Charlotte Mason, and was not familiar with the other "styles" of home education-- she was going on instinct] It was school, but it was better. The only time I recall having a real burden-type feeling was when we took a state test. No one enjoyed it, the teacher nor the student.

When we began homeshcooling, my dad brought home:
a desk,
a globe (that good old orb has lasted into the next generation of students, despite being overly-spun, dropped many times and split in half-- which was a lesson in itself on how globes are made),
a dictionary (Webster's 1828),
a small chalkboard,
an atlas (A side note here: that atlas stayed around for many years with the entire front section of it devoted to Darwin's theories. It finally occurred to me one day that this is our atlas, and we don't have to keep this stuff in it, so I gave myself permission to "ruin" it and cut out those pages, and now we have a book of just plain maps. Remember that any books and magazines you own are yours, and you can edit them with white out, markers or just have pages disappear),
The King James Bible and Young's Analytical Concordance,
and that was what we started on.
No Internet, no computers, no library card.
If a bookstore had a good book on drawing or music, my folks bought it whether or not it was at our "grade level" or even written for children.
Curriculum was found over the years and added to it (such as Abeka for math, history and grammar, and McGuffey's readers and Spencerian penmanship), but I suspect my parents could have taught us a lot without the extra books.

My mother has a knack of making a lesson out of something at hand. She can take a Victoria magazine and set it down before you, and suddenly you are studying a geography lesson, a history lesson, architecture, art, cooking, nature studies, handwriting, literature, and then writing a letter (by pen-in-hand) on a card that you painted with watercolor (from a photo in the magazine) to a friend to share about it.
Let me tell you, that is the best kind of school day.

My education was not just doing book work, but taking nature walks, playing the piano, writing and publishing, drawing and painting, sewing and crafting, cooking, and reading reading reading! I was given exposure to the depth and history of the English Language as the phrases in the King James translation of the Bible were explained to me. I was taken to concerts of many types of music, as well as having a lot of music playing at home (From Bob Wills to Beethoven). I was taken to museums, teas (for culture, you know), garden tours, and other events as opportunities came. We did all of the things on the list on the top of this post. And besides all that, my mother sewed half or more of my wardrobe and hers, besides writing her own newsletters and keeping house (in other words, she "had a life" beyond teaching schoolwork-- though I think it more accurate to say our whole life was home school!).

I'll grant you, I didn't do everything every single day. Maybe not even every single week. I am sure I just remember it all as one seamless day-- but it is the same kind of memory I want my own children to have.

Somehow I have to fit it all in, without it being so regulated that my little students will feel like they are "doing" schoolwork. Without the bursting through the door at the appointed time, thirsting for Lego and freedom!

All the beautiful paintings were found at Wikimedia Commons


Comments have been enabled for a while for your feedback!!! This opportunity never lasts long, so please say hello! [Thank you for your kind remarks-- comments will be turned off again because of time constraints, but you can email the editor at  thepleasanttimes  on gmail.com]

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this! This was beautiful! I hope I can home teach like your mother! God bless, cousin!

Jennifer C. Valerie said...

Sounds like a wonderful experience. Came over from Lady Lydia's.

mrstlc said...

Please do find time for Little Pilgrim's Progress--my children and my class of 4th-6th grade school children BEG for me to read and re-read it. Hands down for many years this age groups favorite book! As I read aloud, I have found the children's comprehension, vocabulary, word recognition, communication and expression grow by leaps and bounds. So easy and fun.
-Sherri

Lydia said...

Being the first to comment, I want to crown your article by revealing some of thing things behind my decision ot home school. I'll get to that when I've got a bit more time. To summarize, though, I saw in each child a precious soul that was not ever going to touch the beauties of the life they were given; children who would grow up muddled and searching for meaning, or "ever learning but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth," as the scriptures say. I prayed God would give me an answer to this, as I, myself often felt that in life there was something I was not quite seeing or spiritually grasping. This opened the door to home schooling, and after that I never had a moments anxiety, depression, worry or instability. Even though we were essentially all alone far away on a ranch in Texas, I was never lonely from that point on. The answer had to be in the fact that I was in good company with my own people, and we stimulated each other with love and good works. (continued later)

Anonymous said...

Such a lovely post! Thank you for sharing. I liked how you mention not being afraid to edit things. My children cross and scribble stuff out all the time that we don't do in things. I don't mind that many of our things our scribbled in- I am happy for my children to learn discernment young. Your homeschool days sounds so lovely. Definitely what I try for too- to have days full of learning and activity, but not burdensome.

I also like your mom's comment. My youngest was singing and repeating Bible verses while we were driving in the car and my husband commented how glad he is that we homeschool. That their love of God won't be taken away by attending school. My children can be free to love God and free to be themselves.

I just read a really good book the other day too- Hold on to Your Kids: Why Parents Need to Matter more than Peers. The author isn't for or against homeschooling, but the book does completely support the importance of homeschooling. You can read the reviews on Amazon.com. It is a great book! Just thought I'd pass along that book info too.

God Bless!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post and how blessed you were to have such an education! This sounds MUCH, MUCH better than the education I received via the public school system.

I LOVED being able to comment. ;o)

Anonymous said...

What a great post! It is wonderful to hear about your homeschool years, I'm glad they were so wonderful and I think you have a wonderful mother.

Lydia said...

To continue: from moment I began homeschooling I saw a different light in the eyes of my children and heard them speak in a different voice. There was something about the freedom to learn about real life as it happened from day to day that put in them a keen sense of worth. They began to see in life the evidence of our great God. From that moment on, I also had a sense of my destiny, as I took what God had given me and molded it in His image as much as I could. Then there was the payback, as the children began to be our people and our friends and we began to function as a real home. One of the saddest things I recall happened just before I homeschooled. I was taking the children to school, and had a baby in the car seat who had just learned to talk. He said "Where are sister and brother going?" He began to cry when they left the car. I thought how ridiculous this whole thing must look to a toddler, to see his mother get up in the morning and take his brother and sister away from him to somewhere else to be educated by people that he did not know and that cared nothing for the souls of my children. I pondered this on the way home, and thought that even to someone who didnt believe in God, this is unnatural, as even animals don't do it. The next day was the beginning of our wonderful homeschool adventure.

Hannah said...

Great post! I had a vision of how I wanted to homeschool, by the book, but my husband lost his job, and for many years my budget for homeschooling was $0. By necessity, our only educational resources was my library card and the internet. Now I am so grateful for poverty, because it has allowed us to discover Charlotte Mason, unschooling, and basically the homeschool lifestyle you described having as a child. Otherwise, I would be a frustrated mom trying to educate each of my five children in their own proper little box. It is such a joy to learn and discover outside the restraints of typical schooling.

Lydia said...

also...fromthe time we began, homeschooling gave us some direction in life as to what we were here for and what we should be doing, as people. It gave us all direction in how to make wise choices in life, by the studies in character that we did.We used old McGuffey's readers but I had plenty of stories of my own to tell to add to the collection, of the results of various choices. As a mother, I did not have to be unfulfilled or wonder about my own purpose in life, for it was set before me by the Lord for many years: the children I was given were my responsibility and I was able to now put all my talent and energy into that. Many women face an empty house when their children are in school, and they lead separate lives within the family, but when the children are with the parents, they share their lives and their values. They become parent focused instead of peer focused, and in a sense it educates the parents as well. Parents mature through homeschooling and learn about teaching children, so they develop skills to pass on to the next generation. When children are given to the so-called experts to be taught for the most teachable moments of the day, the children detach themselves emotionally from their parents, and become more peer oriented, group dependent or less inclined to admire their parents.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lillibeth,
so glad to read a blog from you about your own home school days.
I didn't have the privilege of being home schooled and was denied the opportunity to home school my own children.

That being said, I have two new grand children under a year old. I don't get to see them much, but when I do get the opportunity, how can I home school them in the manner you and your lovely mother have done? How can I make memories for them when they come to visit me? What reading materials beside the bible shall I read to them and how does one make a lesson of things at hand? I do pray for them unceasingly.

Thank you for sharing your blog in this manner. I'm hungry for information. I love being able to comment too.

Blessings, Mrs. J.

Eve | Inchworm Chronicles said...

Hi, I found this post from the Home Living blog. I enjoyed this very much! and the comments, too.

We have many things in common so far as how we desire homelife and education and values to be taught.

How wonderful that your mother chose to provide those kinds of experiences for you. God bless you as you are finding your own ways of passing on her and your own legacy!

Regards,
Eve
InchwormChronicles.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Elizabeth,
What a beautiful post. I once read that children remember the emotions that go with the learning, much much more than whatever it is that is being learnt.
God bless you and your mum.
Anne

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful ! I've wondered how your mother homescooled her family so this was a pleasant surprise when I opened my email today!
Thank you for some ideas for home schooling my own four blessing.

Mrs. B (ID) said...

Yes! That is what I strive for every year, and find myself pressed for time and reverting to the "old school" ways. I get very frustrated by this. There is so much my oldest (a high schooler) needs to cover. So I vacillate...by the book or not.

As the new year looms ahead, I once again take pen in hand to make lists and outlines and pray for direction and freedom from the bondage of gov't school ways.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Lillibeth said...

Thank you all for your pleasant comments!

Mrs J, I think grandmothers have a knack for homeschooling:) No doubt your grandchildren will love coming to your house! You have a lot of wonderful things to teach them, about history and handiwork, and "whatever your hand finds to do." Having been to one of your classes, I know they'll have a wonderful time:)

Anne, what you said about emotions rings true.

Mrs. Fuentes also has an inspirational post up:

http://proverbs14verse1.blogspot.com/2012/08/creative-homeschool-curriculum-planning.html

Lillibeth said...

I just wanted to add before I turn off comments, that those who feel it is impossible to homeschool, please keep praying about it and trying for that goal. Nothing is impossible with God! Homeschool is such a blessing to the family!

Lillibeth said...

Comments will be turned off, but you can email any time! thepleasanttimes at gmail.
(It may take a while to get a reply, but I do try to answer when I am able to!)