Friday, July 26, 2024

Sisters Quilt Show 2024: Twists on Tradition and some Inspiration

 

I like to look at quilts like this, and try to decide which square is the block that's being repeated.
A beautiful applique quilt with some felt pieces, laces and trims.
A glimpse of a tumbling blocks quilt, all hand pieced and hand quilted. The interesting thing here was that the little blocks made a different pattern in shadow and in sunshine!
A beautifully done sampler.
 This pastel quilt also looks different in shadow and sun.
 
This quilt was a show-stopper for me!

10,210 pieces, Read all about it!

I would actually like to make this. It would be exciting to see it come together.

I admire the diamond star and medallion quilts. I will probably never attempt one.

Beautifully done in traditional prints.

A traditional block but done BIG! 

I wish I had a better photo of this one, it deserves a lot of attention! Traditional blocks are overlaid with applique reminiscent of the block's names. 

I think this is a variation of the Drunkard's Path quilt block, at least it uses the pieces. Here it looks like a tropical flower or a pinwheel.


And now for some quilts that I took pictures of just for the inspiration:

This is simply half-square triangles. How hard could it be?


A case where the camera changed the quilt for me. In person, I hardly saw those gray squares, I only saw the "movement" of the red & white paths. When looking through the phone camera, the gray squares suddenly became prominent!

  Hexagon flower border... a good idea for an update of Grandmother's Flower Garden.

This should have been in my "brights" post, but I put it here with the other hexagon quilt as ideas for hexagons. I have been doing English paper piecing for a year or so, but only sewing a few hexagons every other week! 
 

Baskets with log-cabin-like fillings, and a delicate border. A very striking quilt for contrast and color.

Here's an idea for your old linens.


Each book here has a selvage for a title. No doubt the name of each fabric used. 

This quilt is not my type, but it gave me an idea for another way to use crazy quilt blocks: Impressionism.

This isn't quite a crazy quilt but it is a way to use up scraps, is this called crumb squares? I suppose if you are a dedicated quilter you have scraps with straight edges, whereas we dressmakers always end up with odd shapes better used in the previous style. I like these colors together.

One more post to come: scenes from around the town.


No comments:

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.