Saturday, January 16, 2021

That piece on the end...

 

I have a hard time remembering all the roof-part terms sometimes. I am told that this board covering the rafter ends is facia. I did a quick google search to see if I was spelling it right (there are two correct ways). I was rather surprised at the #1 definition they supplied:

noun: fascia or facia
  1. a detachable covering for the front part of a mobile phone.
  2. a wooden board or other flat piece of material such as that covering the ends of rafters.

I have never called the parts of my phone any such thing (except maybe "cover? screen?"). Funny how it should have become the top definition when the architectural application of "Fascia" is much older. 

And speaking of applications, do you know how the men got the fascia up? Do you think they walked that scaffolding around the house? Nah, that's too much trouble. They leaned over the top of the wall and nailed it on backwards.

2 comments:

lahbluebonnet said...

That is hilarious about the definition. I had to google it and that was certainly the first hit. Then I went to Merriam Webster and got completely different definitions.
I'm catching up on blog reading and this is so amazing you got to build your house. I can sympathize with the irritating parts.
I was helping a friend with interior design last summer for his new house, and oh the madness of just trying to find contractors to do the work, decently. Oh the stories.

Lillibeth said...

Yes! Always lots of stories!

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.