Monday, January 5, 2009

The Modified Mini Skirt and a Delicious Gift

My friends would have been shocked to see me at Goodwill searching through the mini skirt rack (has Lillibeth gone mad?!), but I had this project in mind:I liked this skirt, and wanted to experiment myself with the idea. I went to Goodwill looking for a mini skirt that would be the yoke of a gathered skirt, and found this one, which was slightly flared. It just so happened that I had picked up a yard of charming blue-and-white calico at JoAnns, too little yardage for a skirt of course, but it worked out just right for the bottom of this kind of skirt! Above the hemline of the mini skirt I sewed the gathered calico, and underneath on the hemline I sewed gathered eyelet. 

I have seen this done with blue jeans, cutting off the top and attaching material to it, but I did not want to go to all that trouble. Using a mini-skirt saves me the measuring and cutting and hemming part. 

It is not all I wanted it to be, but it is a good beginning anyway. I might try again if I can find a mini skirt on sale at Goodwill. I resent paying the same price for 1/4 to 1/3 of a skirt as much as a long skirt- I think the price should adjust for the hemline!

Here is one of my Christmas packages:

I can't wait to get a proper scone and try some of this Devon Cream! I'll have to have a tea party! I drink Chamomile tea often, and it is nice to have a BIG box of it! The little square on the left is a book my Sister-in-law made, and it folds out like this:
I think I would like to gather some of Aiden's drawings to decorate the inside.