Wednesday, May 17, 2023

That Handy Foam Board becomes a "Kitchen"

I've said this before, but one of the essential items for construction has to be foam insulation boards.
They are useful not only to insulate, but bits of it can be a kneeling pad, padding for heavy tools (saves your new flooring not to have a hammer dropped on it), padding for hauling things in vehicles, and their rigidity is perfect for mock-ups. 

I was asked one day how high & deep I wanted the upper kitchen cabinets, how deep I wanted the counter, how high to hang them for the "sightline" and other details. First can I say it was very exciting to be talking about the KITCHEN!  I knew the answers to some of these questions before they were asked, but not all of them. This is where that handy foam board came in. Our in-house carpenter set up a kitchen "model" on the porch for me so that I could "test" it out!

We measured the instant pot and other appliances that we frequently used, and how they would work with the depth of the counter and the height of the space. We talked about the line of sight and how high was too high for uppers. It really made a difference having something to walk up to rather than trying to envision this structure with a measuring tape on a blank wall. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.