Tuesday, March 25, 2014

The Revised McGuffey's Eclectic Readers

94284: McGuffey"s Eclectic Readers                      Primer through the Sixth Reader 7 Volumes McGuffey's Eclectic Readers Primer through the Sixth Reader 7 Volumes

It's not often that I even remember that The Pleasant Times is an affiliate with Christianbook.com-- but I had to just let my readers know that the delightful McGuffey's books I grew up with are now being reprinted and sold at CBD! A set of slip-cased hardcover McGuffey's Eclectic Readers are just the thing I need to replace the softcover ones I had, which are falling to pieces from over-use (they're teaching a second generation now!). This is going on my book order list!

By the way, there are differences between the revised readers and the originals (obviously). There are still passages from the Bible in the revised set, though not as frequent as in the originals. Most of the stories are different though there are some brought over from the original set. Also the illustrations in the revised are much better than the old woodcuts in the originals, and capture the child's imagination much better. I have used both in teaching my children at home; personally I prefer the revised because of the illustrations and engaging stories, but he originals are worth studying as well!