Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sweater Makeover

This is a turtleneck sweater that has been made over into a cardigan. I have been wanting to do this project for a long time. I found a beautiful sweater at Goodwill, almost new, and brought it home to do my experiment. I stitched up the front, about 1/4 inch on each side of the center, then cut up the middle. 

After that, it was disastrous.  My idea was to put a binding on the edges. My first attempt stretched the sweater out of shape, despite my efforts prevent that from happening. The second attempt put a binding on that was too stiff. The third attempt took the collar off. The fourth attempt took the binding off and most of the material on the neckline, and replaced it with a small zig-zag.

Concerned family members were telling me I needed to put it away and go to bed. 

I was truly upset. This was a beautiful sweater, and I ruined it. I so wanted to be able to make into a really nice piece for my wardrobe, I was looking forward to having a pretty cardigan. Now it was only a step away from the garbage can. 

I was so frustrated seeing my project continually ruined that I was ready to (gasp!) use deconstruction-- I would sew a ways in from the edge and let the rest unravel. I was ready to do it when suddenly I realized one more thing to try....

Crochet to the rescue! And that lovely ball of eyelash yarn my mother gave me to make a scarf with. A quick single crochet around the stitched edges, and it looks really nice! The next time, I will know where to start!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...