Thursday, June 4, 2009

Spring Tea Dress

I managed to do some sewing last month, and made this tea dress. I really liked this fabric print, but could not decide what kind of dress style to make it in. I settled on something similar to a "vintage" Laura Ashley dress. This is from a Simplicity costume pattern (The numbers have changed from the pattern I have, but it is the one with the colonial, pilgrim and pioneer gown.) and was easy to make.
I like the look of an invisible zipper better than the regular kind, but it takes me a few times to get them in:) Just in case you were wondering, the dress is not really floor length, it is the short dress form that makes it look that way.
I used piping for the first time on one of my dresses. I had a color-coordinated fabric I wanted to use, but could not find the cord in my stash that one puts in piping. So I took white piping I had in a package, and covered it. I used a method of applying piping that I saw on Sewing with Martha, which is to baste the piping on the seam first, so it does not go crooked or disappear into the seam as you sew.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...