Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Work

The Seamstress Or, Young Woman Working
The Seamstress Or, Young Woman Working Giclee Print
Duparc, Francoise
Buy at AllPosters.com


My great-uncle used to carry a card that he passed out to everybody he met, and this is what was written on it:

WORK IS MAN'S GREATEST FUNCTION

He is nothing, he can do nothing, he can achieve nothing, fulfill nothing without working.
If you are poor-work. If you are rich-continue working.
If you are burdened with seemingly unfair responsibilities- work.
If you are happy, keep right on working. Idleness gives room for doubts and fears.
If disappointments come-work. If your health is threatened- work.
When faith falters- work. When dreams are shattered and hope seems dead- work.
Work as if your life were in peril. It really is.
No matter what ails you-work. Work faithfully, work with faith.
Work is the greatest remedy available- for both mental and physical afflictions.
-James M. Cowan.

I think about my uncle's work ethic when I remember that I once gave my great-uncle a "worry stone" (a smooth stone you can rub with your fingers) and he told me he wore a hole in it. I don't think it was from worry, I think he just worked at it too hard!





This was pasted in my grandmother's scrapbook. I do not know who wrote it, but it looks like it was in a church bulletin:

WORK

How true it is when I am sad
A little work can make me glad.
When frowning care comes to my door
I work a while and fret no more.
I leave my couch harassed with pain,
I work, and soon I'm well again.
When sorrow comes and vain regret,
I go to work and soon forget.
Work soothes the soul when joys depart,
And often mends a broken heart.
The idle mind soon fills with murk,
So that's why God invented work.





Quotable Quotes (also from Grandma's scrapbook):
"The best way to leave your footprints in the sands of time is to wear your work shoes."
"If fifty million people do a foolish thing, it's still a foolish thing."


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...