Thursday, February 26, 2009

Veni, Vidi, Vici

Pro 13:19  The desire accomplished is sweet to the soul
Today I finished my scrap quilt. I started it ten or more years ago. It was a king sized quilt, for my bed,  and I was planning on machine quilting it. Amy warned me it would be difficult! It was a bear!

This quilt only came out every few years, and I would try to "ram it through" the finishing process (can't you see me at my sewing machine, ramming something through it?). Then it would be put away, as I was frustrated or discouraged. 

I got it out again today, and took it to the Ladies' class for their opinion. The center part was quilted, it just needed the large borders finished. The backing had shifted and needed patching. The safety pins put in the borders 3 years ago had rusted (rule number one: never store any sewing project with the pins in it!). Gloria said I would have no trouble patching what I needed to do and putting a binding on. She quilts a lot, and that was encouraging advice; but in the end, I made it really simple. 

I cut the borders off. 

And now it is a really sweet twin-sized bedspread quilt.  I call it my Lattice quilt. 

While I was sewing the binding, my son was quizzing me with his Latin lesson. The lesson book said, that if you accomplished anything difficult this week, you were to say "Veni Vidi Vici!" so that is what we said when it was all done. 
Hooray! It is out of the closet and in use at last.