Monday, April 21, 2008

Oatmeal Bread

An easy recipe you do not knead (but you will want anyway)! I got this from an old Betty Crocker cookbook given to me by my grandmother. I found it a great way to use up leftover cooked oatmeal when I have made too much.

Whenever I have leftover cooked oatmeal in the pot, I use it up in this recipe in place of the boiling water/oatmeal step. The children like raisins and spices cooked right in their oatmeal, but you could add raisins and cinnamon as you desire. You could also cut down on the molasses if you have already sweetened your oatmeal.

Stir together in mixing bowl:
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup light molasses
1 tbsp salt
Cool to lukewarm.
Combine, stirring to dissolve:
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (not hot- 110-115 degrees F.)
Stir into lukewarm oatmeal mixture. Mix well.
Add:
2 eggs
5 1/2 cups unbleached flour.
Mix thoroughly. Cover; let stand 15 minutes. Turn onto well floured board and shape into 2 loaves. Let rise in a warm place until double (1 1/2 hour). Bake 350 degree F. for one hour until brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

READ ME FIRST!
Pleasant Letters are Most Welcome!

Comments will be moderated for spam control and people having a bad day or making poor life choices.

Due to time constraints it may take a few days to publish and respond to your comments.